Chakhokhbili is not only a famous dish, it is a special pride of Georgian cuisine, when with the help of spices and herbs, ordinary chicken with vegetables turns into a masterpiece. Prepare you traditional Georgian dish at home, and let the aroma of spices fill your home.
To divide the bird into portions, first separating the wings, then the legs, the latter divided into three pieces, the white meat divided into six parts. Please note - for cooking, you can take white meat or dark, it all depends on personal culinary preferences.
Next, lower the tomatoes for 15-20 seconds in boiling water, and then incise the skin and lightly remove it from the tomato pulp. Chop the onion with thin rings, chop greens, hot peppers, garlic cloves, boil plums and rub through a regular sieve.
Strictly by the rules
To prepare a dish, choose thick-walled dishes: a cauldron, a deep pan, an utteress, or a saucepan. Spread meat in a specific sequence to preserve juiciness. First, fry dark chicken pieces in a hot frying pan until half cooked (stir constantly), then add the breast, continue cooking.
Traditionally, the chicken is fried in a dry skillet without oil, when the pieces are reddened, dry white wine is poured in, they are covered with a lid, and cooking is continued over a minimum heat. Chakhokhbili will turn out with a sharp taste, if the wine is replaced with vinegar. Not enough fatty birds are fried with the addition of oil.
ON A NOTE! Pour refined oil into the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with a little salt. Using this trick, it will be possible to avoid splashing of oil over the entire stove and to prevent contact with hands.
While the meat is stewing, enjoy the tomatoes and onions. First, brown onions in a skillet, adding refined oil. If you throw a cube of butter at the end of cooking, the taste will become even better and more tender. Cut the tomatoes into slices, put in the meat, salt to taste. Sometimes the onion is placed directly to the chicken meat, add more fried peppers, chopped rings.
The dish will get a beautiful color and flavor when you add pureed plums, chopped chili, fresh cilantro, garlic and green basil, and put the greens at the very end of cooking. Cover with a tight lid, leave for 20 minutes.
There is nothing superfluous in this dish, despite its decent fat content, 100 grams contains only 119-120 kcal. To calculate the caloric content yourself, I recommend using the table.
|Name of ingredients||amount||Calorie content||Proteins, g||Fat, g||Carbohydrates, g|
|Chicken (1 kg)||1 kg||1850||176||184||-|
|Butter (50 g)||50 g||367||0,3||41,25||0,25|
|Tomatoes (6-7 pieces)||6-7 pieces||105||7,7||-||35|
|Olive oil (20 ml)||20 ml||174,6||-||19,98||-|
|Cilantro (10 g)||10 g||1,7||0,08||-||0,33|
|Parsley (10 g)||10 g||2,0||0,07||-||0,29|
|Dill (10 g)||10 g||1,4||0,05||-||0,23|
|Red sweet pepper pod||1 PC.||38,1||2,8||-||7,2|
|Per 100 g||119,7||7,5||6,4||3,8|
Classic Chakhochbili Chicken
The success of cooking chakhokhbili depends on the spices, the sequence of laying the products and on the dishes - a thick-walled pan, a frying pan or a cauldron with a tight-fitting lid is always necessary. Time: 1 hour. Each serving: 299 kcal.
- half hot pepper;
- 3 garlic cloves;
- 3 onions;
- 3 tomatoes;
- 50 g butter;
- 100 ml of cold water;
- 45 g of tomato paste;
- 1.5 kg bird carcass;
- 1 bunch cilantro + green basil;
- season with hops-suneli, pepper, salt to taste.
- Cut the chicken carcass into approximately equal pieces. Send to the pan without oil, fry with constant stirring, so as not to stick to the bottom of the pan. As soon as the meat is fried, put the tomato, pour a little water. Chakhokhbili can also be cooked from chicken thighs or legs, although this is not a classic option. In this case, cutting will take less time.
- Chop the onion in half rings and brown in butter, then lay out to the chicken. Remove peel from fresh tomatoes, cut them and boil them in boiling water. Chop peeled tomatoes, send to the pan to the meat, cover with a lid, put on medium heat.
- Chop the garlic and hot pepper, pre-cleaned from seeds. Season chakhokhbili pepper, hops-suneli, garlic, a couple of minutes before the end of cooking add finely chopped greens.
How to cook chakhokhbili chicken Georgian
In Georgia, chakhokhbis are literally prepared in every home. Someone adds hot pepper to it, someone has adjika. But the indispensable participants of the finished dish are spicy herbs, which are responsible for the Georgian character. Time: 2.5 hours. Calorie portions: 315 kcal.
- 1.5 kg chicken carcass;
- 5 heads of red onions;
- 0.7 kg of ripe tomatoes;
- 1 pod of sweet pepper (red);
- 1 small carrot (optional);
- 1 bay leaf;
- 3 slices of garlic;
- 10 sprigs of green basil + cilantro;
- 1 pinch "ucho-suneli";
- if desired, take adjika or hot pepper;
- 0.5 tbsp. refined oil;
- pepper freshly ground black and salt to add to taste.
- Pour two liters of water into the pan, send to the stove. After boiling, place the chicken carcass, boil for 30 minutes. Put on a dish, cool, cut into slices. Meat broth strain.
- Take a frying pan with a thick bottom, warm up. Until golden brown fry chicken pieces in a dry skillet, if the meat is dry, you can add butter.
- Chop the onion into a cube. Send in a bowl with chicken, mix well, fry until the onions redden.
- Peel the pods from the seeds and partitions, then chop the flesh. Grate carrots (it will add color and soften the taste of tomatoes). Add sweet peppers and grated carrots in a bowl, simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes. Pour 200 ml of broth, cover the pan with a lid, cook until soft chicken. 40 minutes is enough.
- On tomatoes, make a cut crosswise, rinse with boiling water, dip in cold water and remove the skin. Wipe or chop with a blender. Put in a saucepan, mix everything, set medium heat, cook for 10 minutes.
- Chop coarse cilantro, garlic cloves, place in a mortar, add salt, crush everything and put in a saucepan.
- Add chopped basil, a pinch of ycho-suneli, spiced pepper to taste (or adjika), lavrushka, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the stove, soak the dish under the lid. Fenugreek blue is present in the rare spice of ucho-suneli, it is he who gives a nutty flavor.
Chakhokhbili from chicken in the slow cooker
Try from time to time to change the method of cooking chakhokhbili. Instead of a cauldron, use a slow cooker. This option is not much different from the classic, the ingredients are the same. Time: 60 minutes. Caloric content: 295 kcal.
- 1.5 kg chicken;
- 4 tomatoes;
- 180 grams of onions;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 hot pepper;
- 80 ml of semi-sweet red wine;
- 40 g of oil;
- basil and cilantro to taste.
- Chop the bird into pieces, blanch the tomatoes in hot water, peel and chop the flesh into cubes.
- Chop the bulbs into half rings, chop the garlic cloves, free the hot peppers from the seeds.
- Place the prepared ingredients in the multicooker bowl. Add red wine, oil, fragrant greens. You can play with the additives: thyme and tarragon will approach the chicken.
- Select the program "Stewing", cook in this mode for 90 minutes. Let it brew, serve an appetizing dish with your favorite side dish.
Delicious Chakhohbili of Chicken with Wine
Another exercise in the Georgian style is the chakhokhbili made from chicken with wine. The main role in this dish is played by ripe tomatoes. And truly fragrant it is made by fragrant herbs - green basil, cilantro, tarragon. Time: 1 hour 20 minutes. The number of calories: 296 kcal.
- 1 chicken carcass;
- 4-5 pieces of ripe and sweet tomatoes;
- 300 g onions;
- 1 bunch cilantro + tarragon + parsley + basil;
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme;
- 3 garlic cloves;
- 80 ml of dry white wine;
- 35 g of Satsabeli sauce;
- 10 g of Peasant oil;
- 1 pinch of coriander seeds;
- 1 tsp condiments "Hmeli-suneli";
- 1 pinch of saffron Imeretinsky;
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 pinch of salt.
- Rinse the whole carcass with water and cut into pieces. Heat a deep griddle (or saucepan) with a thickened bottom, place the meat there and fry without oil on low heat, pour in the wine, cover with a lid, cook for 10 minutes.
- Peel 300 grams of onion, chop, put in a frying pan, add oil, continue to simmer until softened.
- Place garlic, salt, pepper, coriander seeds, saffron, hops-suneli in a mortar and grind well. Add spices to the meat, pour in water.
- Blanch the tomatoes, then cut into cubes, after removing the skin. Put to the meat, cover with a lid, cook on low heat for half an hour.
- Chop all the greens. Add sauce, herbs, thyme leaves, simmer another 5 minutes.
ON A NOTE! Before serving, you can put a circle of lemon on each piece of chakhokhbili and sprinkle with chopped greens.
Read my recommendations and you will definitely get a bright, tasty and healthy chakhokhbili.
- For cooking, be sure to take a young chicken, but with fat.
- Slice the bird into small pieces, just like goulash.
- Fry the meat in a deep frying pan without oil.
- Pre-brown onion in butter and add to roasted meat.
- Add blanched tomatoes (without skin). If the weight of a chicken is 1 kg, take 500 grams of tomatoes, that is, exactly half.
- At the end of cooking, add the spices: parsley, cilantro, basil, hot red pepper, garlic. You can also add dill, fresh mint leaves, tarragon, coriander, hops-suneli, imeretinsky saffron.
In fact, chakhokhbili - ordinary chicken with tomatoes, onions, carrots, sweet peppers, spicy herbs and spices. But the recipe can be infinitely varied by adding different spices and spicy herbs. Cooked according to the rules, it turns out a dish with a unique aroma and taste, and each time with a new one. It all depends on the amount of spices and a set of herbs.