The Academy Award is a prestigious award in world cinema. It is presented annually by the American Academy of Film Arts. The first award dates back to the distant 1929 year.
Leading and arena carrying
In 2019, the ceremony, as always, will be held in the world famous Dolby Theater cinema center. There is still no information about who will be honored to lead the event, because Kevin Hart refused to conduct the ceremony.
Who selects nominees
This prize is awarded based on the results of the voting of the members of the Film Academy. The academy includes more than 5,000 people, on whom the "fate" of the statues depends. They are divided into 5 categories:
- Script writers.
- Service staff.
Each representative has the right to choose only a candidate of a certain category. General voting is held only in the nomination - "best film".
When all the premieres of the films for the last year passed (usually this happens in early January), newsletters are sent to all cinema academics. Previously, these were paper forms, now they are available in electronic form on the Internet. So that no one receives two ballots or an empty envelope, all forms are recalculated and numbered several times.
Voters must make a choice and send the result to the company - the auditor, which is PricewaterhouseCoopers. So the top five are selected in a separate category.
How are the winners chosen?
In the voting for the finalists take part all Film Academy participants. Then the auditing company again processes the votes. The results of these calculations are kept secret. Winners are named only at the ceremony, after opening the envelopes with the results.
Oscar 2019 nominees
The movie premiere season has long been open, so there are already possible applicants for the desired award.
According to experts, the leader in the nomination "Best Motion Picture" is the film - "You've never been here before" (You've never here here before). In addition to his work marked:
- Black Panther.
- Black clanman.
- Bohemian Rhapsody.
- Green Book.
- The star was born.
Actors and actresses
For the title of the best movie actress will fight:
- Jalica Aparisio - "Roma" (for the role of Cleo).
- Glenn Close - "Wife" (for the role of Joan Castleman).
- Olivia Coleman - "Favorite" (for the role of Queen Anne).
- Lady Gaga - "Star was born" (for the role of Ellie).
- Melissa McCarthy - "Can you forgive me?" (for the role of Lee Israel).
The best actor can be:
- Christian Bale - "Power" (for the role of Dick Cheney).
- Bradley Cooper - "The Star was Born" (for the role of Jackson Maine).
- Willem Dafoe - "Van Gogh. On the threshold of eternity" (for the role of Vincent van Gogh).
- Rami Malek - "Bohemian Rhapsody" (for the role of Freddie Mercury).
- Viggo Mortensen - The Green Book (for the role of Tony Lipa).
Critics believe that the title of "Best Director's Work" can be overcome:
- Spike Lee - "Black clanman".
- Pavel Pavlikovsky - "Cold War".
- Yorgos Lantimos - "Favorite".
- Alfonso Cuarón - Roma.
- Adam McKay - "Power."
Oscar for best screenplay
Category "Best original script":
- Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara - Favorite.
- Paul Schroeder - Shepherd's Diary.
- Nick Vallelonga, Brian Curry, Peter Farrelli - The Green Book.
- Alfonso Cuarón - Roma.
- Adam Mackay - "Power."
Category "Best Adapted Script":
- Joel Cohen and Ethan Cohen - "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs."
- Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott and Spike Lee - "Black Clanman".
- Nicole Holofsener and Jeff Witty - "Can you forgive me?"
- Barry Jenkins - "If Beal Street could talk."
- Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper and Will Fetters - "Star was born."
Oscar for best music
Category "Best Film Music":
- Ludwig Göransson - Black Panther
- Terence Blanchard - "Black Klanovets".
- Nicholas Brittell - "If Beal Street could talk."
- Alexander Despla - "Dog Island".
- Mark Shaymen - "Mary Poppins is back.
Category "Best Movie Song":
- All the Stars - "Black Panther".
- I'll Fight - "RBG" - music and words: Dianne Warren.
- The Place Where Lost Things Go - "Mary Poppins Returns."
- Shallow - “Star was born” - music and words: Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt.
- When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings - "Ballad Buster Scruggs" - music and words: David Rawlings and Gillian Welch.
Best Visual Effects
- Den Delia, Kelly Port, Russell Earl and Dan Sudik - "The Avengers: The War of Infinity."
- Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones and Chris Corbould - "Christopher Robin."
- Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Miles and JD Schwalm - "Man on the Moon".
- Roger Guyette, Grady Kofer, Matthew Butler, and David Shirk - "First Player to Get Ready."
- Rob Bredow, Patrick Tabach, Neil Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy - "Han Solo. Star Wars: Stories."
- The Incredibles 2 (The Incredibles 2).
- Dog Island (Isle of Dogs).
- Mirai from the future (Mirai).
- Ralph against the Internet (Ralph Breaks the Internet).
- Spiderman: Through Universes (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse).
Nominees and winners of the award in 2018 by category
The 90th anniversary ceremony was held on March 4, 2018. List of winners "Oscar 2018"
|Best movie||"Form of water" (Form of water)|
|Academy Honorary Award||Charles burnett|
|Producer||Guillermo del toro|
|Camera work||Roger deakins|
|Best Actor||Gary oldman|
|Female role||Francis McDormand|
|Song||"Remember Me" - "Mystery Koko"|
|Male supporting role||Sam rockwell|
|Female supporting role||Allison jenny|
|Adapted Script||"Call me your name" (James Ivory)|
|Animated film||"Secret of Coco" (Secret of Coco)|
|Sound editing||"Dunkirk" (Dunkirk)|
|Special effects||“Blade Runner 2049” (Blade Runner 2049)|
|Soundtrack||"Water Form" - Alexander Desplah|
|Decoration||"Form of water" (Form of water)|
|Suit||"Ghost Thread" (Ghost Thread)|
|Makeup||"Dark times" (Dark times)|
|Short animated film||"Expensive basketball"|
|Short fiction film||"Silent child" (Silent child)|
|Short documentary||"Paradise is a traffic jam on the 405th highway" (Paradise is a cork on the 405th highway)|
|Film in a foreign language||"Fantastic Woman" - Chile|
Can an ordinary person get into the hall of the "Oscar"
Many do not want to watch the award from the TV screen, they want to see the presentation with their own eyes. There are several ways to get to the celebration:
- Participate in the draw of invitations and win.
- Get an invitation from the nominee for the award.
- Settle in the hotel "Hollywood Youth Hostel" whose windows overlook the boulevard, on which the Dolby Theater is located.
It is very easy to find out information about the winners, but many people are interested in information about the "reverse side of the coin".
During the rehearsals of the ceremony, simple students pass on the carpet flooring.
The Oscar statuette is made in the form of a knight standing on a hank of film and holding a sword in his hands. Dimensions of the award: weight - 3.85 kg, stand diameter - 13 cm, height - 34 cm. Enlarged copies of the statuette are placed along the carpet. They have different heights - from 2.5 to 8 meters; they are painted with paint, which in the spotlight is impossible to distinguish from gold.
After completing the official part of the ceremony, all participants are invited to a gala reception.
The carpet is divided into several parts. The length of the track is - 150 meters, width - 10 meters. It weighs about 5 tons.
On the seats, designed to accommodate the nominees, fix their portraits with names. This is done so that someone does not accidentally take someone else's place.
Cards on which the names of the winners in each nomination are printed are placed in envelopes which are opened on the stage. In total, 2 copies of each envelope are harvested and sent to the venue of the ceremony at different times and along different routes. All this is kept in the strictest confidence.
After reviewing all the facts, it becomes clear that the Oscar is one of the oldest and highest awards designed to be presented to artists from around the world. The principle of choosing winners is constantly criticized, and members of the Film Academy are often accused of corruption, but receiving this award is still the highest limit in the world of cinema that people can reach.