In children, the immune system is not fully formed, so they often develop infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Usually the problem is faced by the kids who just went to preschool. The article will look at how and how to treat laryngitis in children at home.
The first symptoms of laryngitis in children
The infectious disease referred to in the article manifests itself in children with a number of non-specific and specific symptoms. The following information will help at the right time to determine the disease and begin treatment.
- Hoarseness. With laryngitis, the lumen of the larynx narrows, and the vocal cords do not fully close. This leads to a change in the timbre of a child’s voice.
- Cough. At the initial stage, children's laryngitis is accompanied by a dry, paroxysmal cough, which increases in the evening and at night and interferes with sleep. Proper treatment in a few days starts the sputum separation process, which indicates the beginning of recovery.
- Sore throat. Laryngitis in children is accompanied by a sore throat, the intensity of which is different in each case. One child simply has a sore throat, and the second one suffers from an unbearable burning sensation. Pain syndrome increases when food is swallowed.
- Heat. In most cases, it is a subfebrile temperature. But in the case of a virus caused by inflammation of the larynx, the temperature often rises to 40 degrees.
- Dyspnea. When the disease narrows the larynx, resulting in respiratory failure.
- Impairment of well-being. A child is naughty, eats badly, becomes sluggish and sedentary.
I think by this point you got the idea of the first symptoms of the disease. As you can see, the picture is unpleasant. I wonder why the disease appears.
Causes of laryngitis in a child
Medical practice shows that the development of children's laryngitis is caused by constitutional, allergic, infectious and other factors. Consider the causes of this infectious disease in children.
- Allergy contributes to laryngitis in a child. The list of allergens is represented by animal hair, foodstuffs, smells of paints and varnishes.
- Laryngitis also appears due to bacterial or viral infection in the respiratory tract. In this case, the baby is contagious.
- Laryngitis appears after the use of drugs for the nose or throat in the form of a spray. The impact of the jet causes a spasm. It is not surprising, because in children the tissues of the pharynx are friable and are characterized by instant reaction.
- Often a pharyngeal spasm is the result of an emotional shock. This is due to the poor development of the children's nervous system.
- The list of causes of the disease also includes the individual characteristics of the organism, including the presence of lymphatic-hypoplastic diathesis.
Among the common causes of laryngitis are high dustiness, exposure of the vocal cords, hot drinks, passive smoking.
Features of the treatment of acute laryngitis
Treatment of the disease in children is aimed at eliminating sore throat. The patient is not recommended to talk much. Since it is difficult for small children to explain that conversations worsen the situation, a game of silence helps out.
Home treatment of laryngitis is carried out in accordance with the recommendations of the doctor. Self-treatment is unacceptable. The use of medicines or folk remedies without the approval of the physician will harm the developing children's body.
With laryngitis, cold or hot dishes, spicy and salty treats are excluded from the diet. Such products irritate the sore throat, which is fraught with complications.
In addition to medications, ancillary procedures are conducted that help relieve swelling of the throat. We are talking about hot foot baths and alcohol packs for the throat. Below we will break about this in more detail.
First aid in case of laryngitis in a child
If the child has a seizure, call an ambulance. A child who has difficulty breathing has nothing to do at home. And before the arrival of the doctors give the baby first aid. This will ease the torment.
- Do not panic and do not allow your child to be nervous. Crying, supplemented by emotional shock, will constrict the larynx and contribute to increased spasm.
- Remove the swelling will help warm alkaline drink. Borjomi will do. If there is no alkaline water, make the solution yourself, dissolving a spoonful of soda in a liter of boiled water. Give the baby a spoonful every 15 minutes. Milk, coffee, juice or compote is not advised. There are a lot of allergens in these drinks.
- Make a steam bath. Take him to the bath, close the drain and open the hot water. The room will quickly fill with steam. After 10 minutes in the "steam room" cough moistened.
- Help in this situation and foot bath. After the procedure, wrap the legs and give warm water.
- If the room is dry, moisten it. To do this, wash the floors, hang wet towels around the room, put a container with liquid.
- To prevent an allergic reaction, use antihistamines. Loratadin or Suprastin fit. And to remove the spasm will help No-spa. When calculating the dosage, consider the age of the child.
- With a strong dry cough, a nebulizer with saline will help. If fever is high, give a febrifuge.
This is enough to alleviate the suffering of the child before the arrival of the doctors. They know what to do in such a situation and will definitely help. Be patient.
How Dr. Komarovsky treats laryngitis in children
Komarovsky - the most famous of the doctors with a long history of work. When treating children's laryngitis, he advises taking common sense as a basis. Parents should know what symptoms the disease has, how to treat it, and what causes inaction. The doctor recommends that the focus of treatment is not to eliminate the cause of the disease, but to create comfortable conditions that will contribute to the recovery of the child.
Almost all children face laryngitis. And a viral infection causes the disease. As for the complications, they are deadly. But if the parents know how to help the baby, it reduces the likelihood of serious violations.
In most cases, the symptoms of laryngitis appear in the daytime, and at night the baby's condition worsens. To prevent false croup, Komarovsky recommends taking a set of measures.
- Antipyretic agents are used for treatment, including Ibuprofen or Paracetamol.
- To alleviate the condition, give the patient a sweet tea, broth hips or compote.
- The room creates optimal conditions for recovery. In the summer, the house opens windows, moisturize the air. The humidity in the room is adjusted to 60%.
- To divert the child's attention from the illness, they read a book for him, carry him with a game, turn on an animated film or give a drawing kit.
In these four points, the key to recovery, said Komarovsky. According to the doctor, the symptoms of the disease are well studied, and the cause of complications is improper care. The doctor advises to build treatment on common sense, and if there are signs of difficulty breathing, immediately go to the hospital.
Komarovsky is against the use of anti-allergic drugs and antibiotics in the treatment of laryngitis, since in most cases the problem is caused by a viral infection. The doctor does not advise giving expectorants and carrying out steam inhalations, since such measures are fraught with deterioration and subsequent hospitalization.
How to treat laryngitis in children under 3 years and older than three
Currently, there are no drugs that help to instantly eliminate the disease. In order to come recovery, a comprehensive treatment is carried out, involving the use of drugs and traditional medicine. And to increase the effect of accompanying procedures are performed.
Doctors do not deny the effectiveness of folk remedies. Self-made medicines from natural ingredients used as a supplement accelerate the healing process. But before using any such means consultation with an otolaryngologist is required.
And even if the doctor has encouraged a folk remedy, it is recommended that the child be carefully monitored, and in case of the slightest worsening of his condition, call an ambulance. Now consider the popular folk recipes used in children with laryngitis.
- Pumpkin cake. A piece of pumpkin is peeled and passed through a coarse grater. Add rye flour and milk to the pumpkin mass, knead the thick dough. Two flat cakes are made from the composition, put on folded fabric and applied to the chest and neck. Warm and hold for 2 hours.
- Sea buckthorn decoction. A tablespoon of sea buckthorn berries is poured with two cups of boiling water, boiled for 2 minutes and left for an hour under a lid. Give the child a spoonful 5 times a day or use it for gargling three times a day.
- Onion compress. Medium onion finely cut, spread in a gauze bag and hung over boiling water in a saucepan. After heating, a bag of onions is applied to the neck of the child. It is important that the compress is heated, and not burned.
- Carrot Juice and Milk. Fresh carrot juice is mixed in equal quantities with warm milk and give at least 5 times a day. The dosage for children up to two years is equal to a teaspoon, and older children are given a tablespoon.
- Cranberries and honey. Cranberries are doused with hot water, laid out in gauze and squeezed juice. Half a cup of juice is mixed with the same amount of honey and given in a small spoon once every half hour during the day.
- Gargle When children's laryngitis for rinsing use an infusion of violets, chamomile or lime blossom. A spoonful of raw materials is poured with two cups of boiling water and infused for 2 hours. Warm infusion is recommended to gargle up to 6 times a day. Upon completion of the procedure, the child should not drink at least half an hour.
- Inhalation. Steam inhalation softens the mucous membrane and makes breathing free. As a solution, use mineral water without gas, a solution consisting of water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Conduct the procedure 3 times a day for 15 minutes.
- Foot baths. The procedure is most effective at the initial stage of the disease. The child’s feet are dipped in a basin with water warmed to 40 degrees for 20 minutes. After the procedure, the child is put on warm socks and placed in a crib.
- Peace. If the symptoms of the disease manifest themselves, it is recommended not to talk, because during a conversation the larynx together with the vocal cords are strained. When treating an illness, rest is imperative.
Using folk remedies to combat laryngitis at home, use caution. Means, including milk, honey, lemon, sage and St. John's wort, can cause allergies, which is fraught with the appearance of a dangerous swelling of the mucous throat. These products cannot be used in the treatment of the disease in a child under three years of age. Older children are given them in small doses.
For the treatment of children's laryngitis used medical drugs prescribed by a doctor. The use of pharmacy at will is unacceptable. Medicines prescribed by doctors are divided into six types.
- Antihistamine. Medications soothe and relieve swelling. Among these drugs Zodak, Tsetrin, Parlazin and others.
- Expectorant. Pharmacies offer expectorants in stock, but only the doctor can choose the best option. The drugs soothe the larynx, eliminate the coughing fit and help you fall asleep. At bedtime, a child is given Libexin or Sinekod. In the case of a wet cough, Bronho San or Alteika is prescribed.
- Absorbable. The list of the most effective means to help eliminate throat edema is presented by Strepsils, Faringosept and Stopangin.
- Gargles. Among the medications used for gargling, Evkar and Ingafitol are most commonly used.
- Antipyretic. Come to the rescue when the temperature rises above 38 degrees. In this case, the doctor prescribes Paracetamol, Efferalgan or Panadol. There was also a use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibufen.
- Physiotherapy. Used in severe cases after admission of the baby to the hospital. The doctor usually prescribes microwave therapy, ultraviolet irradiation or laryngeal electrophoresis.
As for antibiotics, their use in case of disease is not always justified. Such drugs are used if the illness is caused by a bacterial infection or if an organism is intoxicated. Often, antibiotics are used as a measure to help prevent the occurrence of complications.
Bacteria rarely cause laryngitis. More often the causative agent is an infection. Therefore, antibiotic treatment is ineffective. But if their use is justified, the doctor prescribes Augmentin, Supraks, Fartum or Azitroks.
How not to get laryngitis
Remember, laryngitis is a disease that must be completely cured. Otherwise, the disease will become chronic. As a result, all associated factors will lead to inflammation of the larynx.
Fortunately, there are several general rules of prevention, compliance with which helps to protect the child from the disease.
- Do not allow the baby to communicate with children with laryngitis or often appear in crowded places.
- Make sure that children's clothes fit the season. Hypothermia is fraught with not only laryngitis, but also other diseases.
- Maintain a healthy microclimate in your home. In the nursery, the air should be humid and clean.
- Temper the child. Often go out with a child for a walk and make your child friends with the method of contrasting soul.
- Try to have fresh vegetables and fruits in your baby’s diet. They will help to improve the body and strengthen the immune system.
Laryngitis in childhood is a frequent occurrence. In one case, it is impossible to do without serious treatment, and in the second, the problem is solved by means of distracting therapy, supplemented with inhalations. Only a doctor can choose a medicine.
In order to avoid general diagnostics and excessive therapy, watch over the child. If the condition worsens, consult a doctor. In the case of a baby or one year old baby, better call an ambulance.
In childhood, the disease is incredibly dangerous. Among the complications of laryngeal stenosis. Without treatment, this emergency will lead to death. Do not treat yourself, listen to the recommendations of the doctors, vaccinate, because only the correct actions of the parents provide the children with good health.