To properly and tasty cook classic hummus of chickpeas at home, you have to try hard. But guests will be surprised by your courage, excellent economic skills and a wide culinary outlook.
Useful tips before cooking
- Analogue of sesame paste can be obtained at home. Crush sesame seeds. Slightly fry (dry) in a skillet. Pour the seeds into a blender, letting it cool beforehand. Gradually add the olive oil, beating until a homogeneous mixture. Ideally, the mixture should have a creamy consistency.
- Hummus is made from hot chickpeas. This facilitates the mixing process with pasta and spices.
- If the beans are boiling hot, don't bother removing the skins. Blender will help to get a homogeneous mass.
- Do not add spices in grains (cumin, coriander) in the dish. Drain on a griddle and grind with a coffee grinder.
- Cooking chickpeas in water takes an average of 2-3 hours. Do not forget about the mandatory pre-soaking for 10-12 hours. The ratio of water to chickpeas during cooking is 3: 1.
- Olive oil and lemon juice are important ingredients. Their goal is to balance and soften the rich taste of beans with spices and the bitter taste of a sesame paste.
- Zira is a spicy Asian spice with a pronounced smell and a pleasant aroma. It turns out from the dried seeds of the grass belonging to the parsley family. Often used in kebabs, shurpa and lamb cooking. If you do not get zira, use cumin or a mixture of coriander, black and red peppers.
Hummus is prepared in different ways, so the nutritional value (energy value) of the dish depends on the additional ingredients used (for example, eggplant, feta cheese, hot pepper, pine nuts). On average, the caloric content of 100 g of hummus is 200-300 kcal. Often the puree mixture is used as a vegetable paste for sandwiches or as a side dish for meat. It increases the total caloric content of food.
Benefit and harm
Middle Eastern food is gaining popularity in European countries and the USA, becoming a frequent guest on the table of vegetarians and people suffering from gluten enteropathy (a rare disease associated with the need to exclude pasta, flour products, products made from rye, barley and wheat from the diet).
Moderate intake of hummus helps to eliminate toxins, normalize blood sugar levels. The product contains manganese and iron, vegetable protein and essential fatty acids. The B-group vitamins (B1, B4, B5) are also present in the overseas dish, which favorably affects brain activity, the functioning of the heart and the endocrine system.
Excessive use of chickpea puree becomes the cause of the development of flatulence (increased flatulence in the intestines). It is not recommended to often eat hummus for people prone to gaining extra pounds. Contraindications to the use is individual intolerance to ingredients, allergic reactions.
Hummus - a classic chickpea recipe
- Chickpeas - 200 g,
- Thina - 2 tablespoons,
- Lemon - half,
- Olive oil - 2 large spoons,
- Garlic - 1 clove,
- Zira - half a teaspoon,
- Coriander, red pepper and salt - to taste.
- In the evening I wash the beans several times and soak them in clean water. This is an important stage of preparation. Without soaking, it will take a long time (3-4 hours) to cook the chickpeas.
- Once again, my chick peas and shift to the pan. I pour water. I stew. The average cooking time is 120 minutes. Willingness is determined by the consistency. The beans should swell and soften.
- Gently pour broth into a separate dish. Leave to cool.
- Chickpeas crush with a blender. Adding a little broth. Stir well.
- I put chopped garlic and sesame paste in the mixture. Salt and add fresh lemon juice (half enough lemon).
- The finished dish is sent to the fridge for 1 hour for "ripening".
- Serve classic hummus on a table with pita bread.
Enjoy your meal!
How to cook homemade hummus from peas
An alternative recipe for tasty hummus without chickpeas (with peas) and a mixture of black and white sesame instead of a special paste. It turns out not quite hummus, but no less original dish. Try cooking!
- Peas - 200 g,
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice - 3 tablespoons,
- Sesame oil - 45 ml,
- White sesame - 1 tablespoon,
- Black sesame - half a teaspoon,
- Chili - 2 pieces,
- Turmeric - 5 g,
- Garlic - 3 cloves,
- Salt - to taste.
- In the evening I cook peas. Washed in running water. I remove the damaged peas. Leave for 12 hours in clean water for soaking.
- In the morning I take out the beans. I shift to the pan. Pour water and close the lid. Turn on the burner on a slow fire. Cook for 90 minutes without adding salt. Peas should swell and become soft.
- I send the finished product to the blender. Grind to a smooth consistency. To the pea puree (without lumps) add lemon juice. Make sure the lemon bones do not get into the dish.
- Turn to sesame dressing. I take the pan. I dry white grains to golden state. I do not use vegetable oil. Pour sesame in mashed potatoes, add sesame oil.
- Finely cut hot pepper and grind garlic. I mix the vegetable mixture, seasoned with a pinch of salt, then add to the dish. I put fragrant spice (turmeric). The final touch is black sesame. Carefully stir the cooked meal with a spoon.
Helpful advice. Adding chili pepper and turmeric reduces the shelf life of hummus. Eat fresh better. Enjoy your meal!
A simple recipe for hummus beans in a home combine
The main component of hummus in this recipe is the usual canned beans, and not pea when cooking boiled peas.
- Canned white beans - 2 cans,
- Thina - 3 big spoons,
- Garlic - 2 cloves,
- Lemon juice - 3 large spoons,
- Fresh rosemary (minced) - 1 small spoon,
- Salt - 5 g
- Olive oil - 10 ml,
- Red ground pepper - 5 g,
- Paprika - to taste.
- In a food processor, crush garlic cloves and rosemary.
- At the second stage I add beans and other products.
- While mixing the mass, gently pour in olive oil.
- I put the finished hummus in a glass dish. Cover with lid, send in the fridge for a few hours.
How to cook hummus from canned chickpeas with eggplants
- Eggplant - 500 g,
- Canned chickpeas - 420 ml (1 can),
- Garlic - 1 clove,
- Tahini - 2 big spoons,
- Olive oil - 60 ml,
- Lemon juice - 2 large spoons,
- Black pepper, salt - to taste.
- My eggplant, I cut into large pieces.
- The oven is heated to a temperature of 210 degrees.
- Pour olive oil on a baking sheet. I spread the slices of eggplant evenly. Add salt and pepper. I bake 15 minutes at a set temperature.
- I open a jar of canned chickpeas. I pour out the water, wash it and put it in a deep bowl.
- Pour lemon juice and olive oil there. Spread sesame paste and peeled garlic clove. I grind in a blender.
- Add in a bowl of baked eggplant. Beat until smooth.
- I put the finished hummus in glass jars. Keep in the fridge, covered with a lid.
Hummus recipe with avocado
Light sweetish taste and oily consistency of ripe avocado diversify hummus, give a dish of originality.
- Chickpeas - 200 g,
- Avocado - 1 piece,
- Lemon - half fruit,
- Garlic - 2 cloves,
- Zira - 5 g,
- Olive oil - 1 tsp.
- Sea salt to taste.
- Washed peas. Leave overnight in the water.
- Cook for 2-3 hours until the chickpea is softened. Part of the finished broth poured into a separate dish. I catch chickpea.
- I clean the avocado, remove the bone. I cut into small pieces.
- I keep the seed kernels in a hot skillet for 1 minute. I shift on a separate saucer.
- Add olive oil to the pan. Chop garlic and fry.
- Spread the ingredients in a blender. Salt, squeeze the juice from the lemon, put a few spoons of chickpeas broth. Beat up.
The dish is served with rye bread. It turns out very tasty and healthy.
What is hummus?
Nute mashed potatoes served in a hot and cold state, used in the preparation of sandwiches, for stuffing eggs, salad dressing.
In eastern countries, food is served as a sauce for pita bread and pita (unleavened bread). In North America, hummus is eaten with toast and even chips.
On top, chickpea paste is decorated with fresh greens, pitted olives, lemon slices.
Hummus is gaining popularity among vegetarians due to its high nutritional value, good vegetable protein content and good compatibility with vegetables. At the same time, the Asian dish harmonizes well with the meat.
Try to cook hummus at home. The cooking technology is simple and clear, it is not very difficult, the main thing is to choose quality ingredients (chickpeas, sesame paste) and good spices.
Wish culinary success!