Ceiling decoration is an important stage of repair in the room, and the result depends on the material. Today in the decoration of the premises is drywall, which helps to bring to life design ideas of varying degrees of complexity. Let's take a look at how to make a drywall ceiling with your own hands and get acquainted with step by step instructions.
Advantages and disadvantages of drywall
Drywall is a finishing material of sheet type, consisting of a gypsum core, a cardboard casing and fillers. To make the material dense, add fiberglass and reinforcing agents.
- Drywall - environmentally friendly material. Safe for the environment, excellent sound insulation properties, thanks to which it is suitable for the construction of interior partitions.
- Sheets endowed with energy-saving properties and "breathe". The material is simply created for rooms with dry air, as it improves the microclimate.
- Great plasticity deserves attention. It is easy to make a cozy niche, suspended ceiling, an intricately shaped partition and any element of the design of the room from drywall.
- Low weight. Drywall is suitable for use in cases where ordinary brickwork is unacceptable.
- Plasterboard - a means for leveling surfaces. Previously, tons of plaster and time was used to level the surfaces. Today, to achieve the result will help a few sheets of drywall.
- Drywall is easy to install. The task will cope even layman. The average man under the force to build a structure of material that will change the interior.
The list of material advantages is decent. But there are no ideal things and drywall is not without flaws.
- The first drawback of drywall is fragility. It is recommended to transport carefully, and to store in horizontal position. If sheets of plasterboard are stored upright, they will be arched.
- Absorbs moisture, which causes inconvenience. After delivery, drywall is left to lie down to get rid of excess moisture and become usable.
- Installation of drywall construction reduces the volume of the room. Sheets are mounted on a frame of metal profiles.
There are many professional builders who will name a number of shortcomings. I believe that the "dry construction" technique deserves attention, and the disadvantages do not affect the popularity.
How to make a two-level plasterboard ceiling
If the height of the room exceeds 2.5 meters, feel free to make a multi-level ceiling of plasterboard sheets.
I offer the simplest step-by-step instructions to get acquainted with the technique of building a multi-level ceiling structure. After receiving additional information and experience, you can create complex masterpieces.
Step number 1 - Layout and construction of the frame
- Mark up first. Pull back three centimeters from the bottom of the ceiling and mark. Using the water level, place the tags in the corners of the room.
- With the thread with the dye repel the line frame. An important stage, because the result depends on it. It is enough to make a mistake, and the finished design will be far from ideal.
- Determine the direction of the drywall sheets. Having decided the question, draw stripes on the ceiling in half a meter. This will help the thread with the dye. Then proceed to the construction of the frame.
- Metal frameworks CD and UD are provided for the frame.. Along the perimeter of the room, fasten the UD profile, guided by an indicative line. If the profile is without fastening holes, drill the wall through the profile. The distance between the mounts - fifty centimeters. If the ceiling is made of concrete, use a punch or hammer drill to drill holes.
- Mount the profile to the wall with hollow plugs with a diameter of six millimeters and screws. To attach the frame elements to the main ceiling, use flared dowels. Conventional dowels do not fit, they will fall into the voids, which are many in concrete ceilings.
- Attach hangers along the lines broken on the ceiling surface., considering the listed requirements to fixing systems. Suspension should be located at a distance of sixty centimeters from each other. If you want to get a reliable design, do not neglect the numbers.
- Install CD profiles under suspensions.by inserting the ends into the UD profile. Pull the thread under the frame for leveling. As the CD profiles sag, pull up with medium suspensions, bending the ears.
- It remains to connect the structural elements using special screws of small size. The result is a flat horizontal plane. After proceeding to the installation of drywall.
Step # 2 - Plasterboard Installation
- I recommend to fasten the plasterboard sheets to the frame together, otherwise spoil the material. Screws for metal are provided for this purpose. The distance between the screws - thirty centimeters. Twist self-tapping screws so that the head did not act, but also did not break through a cardboard.
- The next step involves the construction of the second level. On the finished plasterboard design, draw the contours of the second level.
- Then bend the profile UW 75. On its walls make cuts at the same distance. Screw the profile with screws to the first level of the ceiling, using the drawn line as a guide.
- Screw the UD profile to the wall, insert the CD profiles between it and the UW profile, and use screws to connect the elements. If the length of the profile on which drywall is fixed exceeds 50 cm, reinforce it with an additional suspension. Now attach the drywall, and cut off the excess with a hacksaw.
- It will remain to establish a vertical strip. Cut a piece of a suitable size from the drywall sheet, and make cuts from the back side through a small distance. Secure the element with screws.
Using tips and step-by-step instructions, make a chic two-level plasterboard ceiling decorated with figures at home. In a similar way, the ceiling can be equipped with a third level. It all depends on preferences and wishes.
The ceiling of plasterboard with lights do it yourself
Drywall helps to realize the design ideas. People who choose the classics of plasterboard can create a traditional "flat" ceiling, and connoisseurs of originality - a multi-level ceiling structure, complemented by transitions, bends and lighting.
Manufacturing technology for complex structures with illumination provides for building up an additional level over the base ceiling system.
Consider the advantages of this design.
- The design is simple. Screws are twisted into the ceiling of drywall, and the need to drill holes in concrete slabs is absent.
- Work with bends is performed on the sides of the box. This eliminates the likelihood of inconsistencies with boundaries.
- The technique allows you to create steps, sleeves and islands. The person engaged in the arrangement of the ceiling, has ample opportunities for creativity.
Installation consists of several stages, each of which is important. This is the preparation of the base, making the frame, making a niche for lighting equipment, electrical and decorative works.
Take out small furniture from the room before installation. If it is impossible to move to another place, cover it with a film or a thick cloth.
The vacated space will facilitate unhindered installation. While working indoors dusty. If you do not plan to change the wallpaper, they also close the film.
Step by Step Action Plan
- Correctly calculate the height of the second level. During calculations, be sure to consider the size of communications and lighting equipment. After the perimeter install guide profile.
- To get a curved box, prepare a flexible profile.. Guide profile shelves neatly cut. As a result, the back will be flexible. To make the radius smooth, make cuts as close as possible to each other.
- On the ceiling, draw curved markings.. Oval - the favorite figure of designers. However, you can give the shape you want.
- Attach the curved profile to the ceiling when marking is completed.. Mount through a sheet of drywall. This is not easy, as the CD profile is covered with finishing material. But there is a trick - to help find a magnet.
- Prepare a drywall stripcorresponding to the size of the steps. Moisten the sheet evenly with water and gently roll with a spiked roller. After acquiring plasticity, attach to the side of the profile.
- Use self-tapping screws to connect the end ends of the rim.. Wait for the finish to dry. It will take twelve hours. While drywall is drying, prepare another flexible profile.
- The next day, attach the second profile to the bottom of the board.. The result will be two profiles, between which insert the CD profiles. They will serve as the basis for additional level plating.
Installation of the first level was not considered, because this technique is no different from the one described at the beginning of the article. The ceiling is ready. Now it's time to think about lighting.
The device wiring and lighting equipment - the main stage of installation work. The location of the luminaires and the type should be considered in the process of sketching the ceiling. It is useful to find out where these or other lighting elements are sold.
A few years ago at the peak of popularity was neon lights. Now at the peak of popularity led strip. Having determined in advance with the type of lighting, you will correctly select the height of the step.
Chandelier hang hang in the center of the room. Open spaces and the perimeter of the ceiling are assigned to spotlights and hidden lighting. Often, designers refuse to use the chandelier, because it is not easy to fit into the picture of the interior.
In the process of installing the wiring, follow these rules and remember that a mistake will lead to consequences that carry a potential threat to health and life.
- Twisting the wires in inaccessible points is prohibited.
- Do not connect copper wires with aluminum.
- The switch must open the phase.
- To protect the wires under the ceiling is used corrugation. The cables should be kept as far as possible from the screws.
- If you plan to create a complex lighting system, draw an independent line from the panel and set the machine.
At first glance, the instruction seems complicated. Dont be upset. If you seriously get down to business, an attempt to create a beautiful ceiling will be crowned with success.
Making a drywall ceiling in a wooden house
People who bought or built a wooden house, believe that there will be no difficulties with the arrangement. In reality, the opposite is true when it comes to the ceiling. Crate and installation of drywall - simple work, but working with wood has features.
Wood is a moving material that can be displaced, covered with cracks and crevices. Wood is subject to temperature fluctuations and high humidity. Under such conditions, it swells or shrinks, causing the ceiling to suffer - there are cracks between the sheets of drywall.
To avoid problems, I advise you to get acquainted with the secrets of mounting the ceiling in a wooden house and learn the features of fixing sheets. With the help of recommendations, build a flat ceiling in the house, which will please the appearance.
- First examine the ceiling and find the bottom point. Having come down a few centimeters below, draw a line around the perimeter of the room through the level. Thanks to the markup make a flat frame. Before arranging the crates pay attention to waterproofing.
- Frame made of wood or metal profiles. It is necessary to build a wall-independent construction to avoid deforming the ceiling when the house shrinks or shrinks.
- Fix wooden blocks perpendicular to the beams after forty centimeters. This is enough to secure the drywall.
- In the case of a metal profile, the perpendicularity of the attachment is maintained, but the distance between the elements is allowed to increase by twenty centimeters. Then, in the end sides, insert the guide profile. It is not attached to the wall, the ceiling is independent of the walls.
- Wires sticking out of the ceiling, the design does not paint. Make the wiring prior to mounting the drywall sheets.
- Consider prematurely how to equip the ceiling. As a result, determine the place of mounting of the chandelier and the installation points of the lamps. To each place in advance, lead the wires protected by a corrugated pipe.
- Lay drywall sheets in a checkerboard pattern. The edge of the canvas should fall on the center of the profile. This will help secure the sheets with self-tapping screws and a screwdriver.
- I recommend to tighten the screws in fifteen centimeters. Such a step will create a strong ceiling. While fixing the sheets, make sure that the screw head goes deeper into the sheet by about a millimeter.
There is a misconception that drywall needs to be strengthened. This is a waste of money. Good frame and secure mounting sheets abound.
Upon completion of the repair, sit down comfortably in an easy chair, drink tequila and admire the new ceiling. Guests who glance at the light will envy.
In conclusion, I will give a little attention to the final surface finish. We are talking about puttying and finishing the ceiling structure. If the joints between the drywall are small, apply a reinforcing tape and putty. To make the ceiling durable, I recommend a little work.
Use a carpentry knife to sew stitches. The width is half a centimeter, and the bevel angles are 45 degrees. Apply elastic putty and reinforcing fabric. Place an extra layer over the ribbon. When the putty dries, it remains to clean the seams and paint the ceiling.
I will add that in the repair at home there is no impossible things. You will quickly master the technique of creating ceilings. Examine the information and apply the knowledge in practice. Strive for the best and everything will work out.