Wine was invented thousands of years ago. It was eagerly used by the ancient Romans and modern people do not bypass. True, buying a drink in supermarkets, people do not think about how to store wine at home.
How to store wine at home
In the old days, people kept bottles of wine in special cellars. Such a room is best suited for this purpose. But, not everyone has a cellar, especially if a person lives in a city apartment with a small kitchen. At the same time, many drink connoisseurs collect bottles and are interested in creating the right conditions.
- Stable temperature. 12 degrees is the best option. Higher temperatures will accelerate the processes inside the drink. The low temperature slows them down, which is bad for the quality of the product.
- Only smooth temperature changes. If you intend to store wine for a long time, purchase a wine cabinet with humidity and temperature control functions. Such furniture is an excellent alternative to the cellar.
- Ideal humidity - 70%. Set the humidity of 70% if you want to store wine for more than 36 months. After such a period of time, the results of exposure to dry air appear. Higher humidity not only leads to deterioration of the labels, but also damage to the plugs.
- Dimmed lighting. Prolonged exposure to bright light activates chemical reactions that lead to wine damage. That is why the drink is recommended to be stored in complete darkness.
- No vibrations. Wine is a vibration-sensitive beverage. Storage place choose quiet and calm. Many experts disagree with this opinion, justifying the existence of cellars located under the railway. According to them, this does not affect the quality.
- Clean, odorless room. Foreign odors adversely affect the aroma of wine. In the room where the bottles are stored, the air must be clean. Near the bottles should not be preserved, vegetables and other products.
I shared information on how to store wine at home. It is not easy to create good conditions for keeping a drink at home. But if you want to keep the taste, be sure to put a little effort. Believe me, in the end, you will get true pleasure, which will not work for money. Just drink the drink should be careful, because it is not easy to wash the wine.
How and how much to store open wine
According to scientists, two glasses of good wine for the evening will not harm the liver. Many fans of alcoholic beverages to the statement unconditionally listen.
People who treat alcohol properly often have unfinished bottles. Moreover, many avid chefs use wine in the process of cooking meat. At one time they do not spend a full bottle. What to do?
If you uncork a bottle, a turning point happens in the life of a wine as the drink starts to interact with oxygen.
The shelf life of an open bottle of wine depends on age. Better for storage suitable young red wine, the aging period of which does not exceed 5 years. It is enough to pour it into an opaque tightly closed bottle. This will not only soften the tannins, but also reveal a bouquet of flavors.
Old wines are very fragile. In some cases, no more than a few hours are needed to damage and lose the original taste. In the case of old vintage wines, the time interval can be calculated in minutes.
What conclusions can be made? Age wine after uncorking the cork is not recommended. As for the young wines, they retain the original taste and are great for cooking lamb in the oven.
- A refrigerator is suitable for wine storage.. Under low temperature conditions, oxidation and other chemical reactions slow down. Such conditions do not allow acetic bacteria to spoil the taste of the drink. Therefore, the unfinished bottle should go straight from the table to the fridge.
- Wine can be poured into smaller containers. This will reduce the harmful effects of oxygen. Some connoisseurs of wine argue that the procedure is completely useless. But, as practice prompts, they are mistaken.
- Special sediments are being sold that pump air out of the bottles.. The device consists of a rubber stopper and a small pump. This tandem creates a partial vacuum in the packaging. However, the process greatly influences the taste of wine, which is not the case with the poured drink. What leads to a deterioration in taste? During the procedure, carbon dioxide rises to the surface. Along with him go and other volatile compounds present in the wine. In general, the method allows you to store wine for a long time, but in the end it will lose its unique taste.
- Desperate wine connoisseurs use nitrogen for storage. With the help of a syringe, which is used in the clinic for injections, they inject nitrogen into the bottle. The substance is deposited on the surface, preventing reaction with air. I do not approve the method, and the nitrogen bottle must be stored somewhere.
These methods are not suitable for storing sparkling wines. Neither the transfusion, nor the nitrogen, nor the refrigerator can save bubbles. For this reason, alcoholic beverages, which bubble up, have to drink immediately. You can purchase a safety cap that saves bubbles, but the taste of the drink will change even after brief storage.
Summing up the conversation about how and how much to store open wine at home, I note that almost all wines are suitable for storage for only a few days. If after the celebration of the New Year or birthday an open bottle remains, I recommend using the drink in the next few days.
Diseases and defects of wine
People involved in winemaking at home often make serious mistakes and blunders, which cause diseases and vices of wine. In addition, improper storage leads to loss of color and taste. Let's look at the shortcomings and diseases of the wine drink.
The list of wine drawbacks is represented by a non-harmonic taste, high acidity, and a yeast flavor. Biochemical processes often lead to the appearance of defects. Diseases are obesity, tsuelya, acetic oxidation and others. These processes are the result of the activity of microorganisms entering the wort with yeast.
Determining the fault or disease of wine is easy. The pearl color of the drink is evidence of the disease, and black or whitish shades are signs of defects. If the wine has become cloudy - tannins are oxidized. If there are silky streams, bacteria are present.
How to open a bottle without a corkscrew
Let's imagine that the wedding anniversary has come, the guests have gathered, and there is nothing to open a bottle of wine at home. Helped materials and ingenuity will help. Believe me, there are no hopeless situations.
- If there is no corkscrew, you can open the bottle with a screw, screwdriver and pliers. Screw the screw into the cork and pull out with pliers, applying a little effort.
- Come to the rescue and penknife. Thrust it deeply into the cork, and then, folding it at a 90 degree angle, remove the cork.
- If there is no knife or tools nearby, open the bottle by pressing the cork inward. Twist the bottle around the axis several times and push the cork inwards.
- The most resourceful fans open the bottles, pushing the cork out. To do this, tap the bottom of the bottle with a thick book or other object at hand.
That is the end of an article in which you learned how to store wine. I shared interesting information about the diseases and vices of the drink, and how to open the bottle without a corkscrew.
The knowledge gained will preserve health, because drinking alcohol, which is stored incorrectly, is very dangerous. I have it all. See you again!